My First Makeup Geek Eyeshadow Haul


This has been a long time coming. I've seen so many posts raving about the Makeup Geek eyeshadows and it was finally time for me to try some. I picked up the Travel Vault Palette to store them all in and although this is called a 'travel' palette, it's pretty big. You assume that anything with travel in the name is going to be quite small but it holds 9/10 eyeshadow pans, which I think is the perfect amount for travelling even with it being a bit big - enough to hold all the basics and some extras for a glam evening eye look.

I did a lot of research beforehand on the shades that I wanted, as on the Beauty Bay website the colours don't look the same as they do in real life - as with most things. Reviews with swatches were the best things to go on, so I thought I'd add my own to the internet too to help others! I decided to build a whole eye look with the palette, so I can take it away with me and have everything all in one place. I eventually chose an inner corner
highlight, an all over base colour, a crease colour and a couple of wild cards that I just liked the look of so I can add a bit of colour if I feel like it.


The shades I chose are:

Shimma Shimma - Described as a metallic champagne this makes the perfect inner corner highlight. I love that this is so sparkly and perfect for night time, but it can also be blended out for a subtle highlight for the day too.


Cosmopolitan - Rose gold with a shimmer finish. I must admit it was the rose gold description that first drew me to this - who deosn't love a bit of rose gold? And I can tell you that it does actually look rose gold on too. It has a slight coral tone and the shimmer is absolutely beautiful. It's subtle enough for a daytime shade and I layer this over Frappe a lot to give them both a bit more depth.

Sensuous - Shimmery purple with flecks of silver. This was one of my wildcards and I'm so glad I picked this one up. I have hazel eyes so purples suit me pretty well and this one is such a lovely shade. It's a muted purple with silver shimmer in it and can be built up for a really intense colour. This is one that I'll save for special occasions as I like to stick to neutral colours for day, but I couldn't resist picking it up.

Frappe - A medium maple brown. This has a matte finish and is a great everyday, one wash, all over the lid colour. I've worn this everyday since they arrived, whether it's on it's own or layered with another colour.

Cocoa Brown - A matte dark, warm brown. This is a little bit more red toned than I thought it would be, but I still love it. I use this as a crease colour with Frappe as a base and Cosmopolitan in the very centre of the eyelid and it looks gorgeous!

Steampunk - A deep blue base with rich copper reflects. This is a duochrome eyeshadow and a little more expensive than the normal eyeshadows, but my god is it worth it. I don't think I've ever seen such a pretty eyeshadow in all my life. It has so many different colours in it that it looks like a rainbow! It's pretty dark, so I use this to define the outer corner of my eye and it looks absolutely gorgeous. It's perfect for a night out as lights make it shimmer all different colours.

From top to bottom: Shimma Shimma, Cosmopolitan, Sensuous, Frappe, Cocoa Brown, Steampunk

Makeup Geek eyeshadows are super, super pigmented and I wasn't disappointed at all. The quality of these is amazing and they're incredible for the price. The eyeshadows are really soft and buttery but I haven't had any fallout when applying. They're the perfect texture that just enough product gets picked up on the brush, without loads of excess to tap off.

I absolutely adore these. The only thing I can find wrong with them is that they do crease a tiny bit by the end of the day, but most eyeshadows crease on me (and a lot more than these do too), so that's neither here nor there. If you have oily lids you might want to take note though. I'm going to invest in a good eye primer next month so hopefully that will fix that problem anyway.

If you're on the fence about picking some of these up I'd say DO IT. You won't regret it, I promise! I can't wait to pick up some more colours and finish my palette.

Have you tried any Makeup Geek Eyeshadows? What are your favourite shades?

Kayleigh x

Labels: ,