5 Ways To Hydrate Your Skin For Winter

5 Ways To Hydrate Your Skin

The weather is turning colder, the nights are drawing in and the leaves are falling from the trees, meaning that Autumn is well and truly here. I love Autumn - drinking hot chocolate, wearing jumpers and scarves, cosy nights in front of the fire with blankets watching TV - it's definitely my favourite season. It was also my birthday in October so I might be biased (although birthdays get much less exciting once you're past 25 and I'd quite like to stop counting now thanks!).

The one thing that I don't like about Autumn is that my skin reacts to the change in weather and not in a good way. I used to think that I had normal skin but over the last couple of years it's become more combination - I have dry patches on my cheeks/by my nose and a slightly oily forehead and chin. In the summer it isn't so bad but when the cold weather hits my dry patches really start to show and anything I put on my face makes it look flaky
and gross.

This year I've experimented with a few new products and tried some different ways to keep my skin hydrated and it's looking much less like alligator scales now.

1. Stay hydrated. I know you've heard this a thousand times before but that's because it's true. Since starting the gym I've upped my intake of water considerably, so that I feel better when I'm training and I've noticed a huge difference in my skin. It looks plumper, I've had less blemishes and it's definitely helped with any dryness.

2. Eat healthily. Many fruit and vegetables are made up of a high percentage of water so eating things like cucumber, celery, tomatoes, watermelon and strawberries will ensure that you get extra hydration from your food. Maybe add a couple of salads into your weekly meals and have some fruit as a snack.

3. Use a cleansing balm or oil. My usual Superdrug Naturally Radiant cleanser is a cream cleanser and it just isn't cutting it now the cold has set in. It still removes my make up okay but it leaves my skin a little dry after, so I've turned to oils and balms as they don't dry out my skin and leave it nice and soft.

4. Don't skip the toner. Until recently I was one of those people who didn't really see the point in toners, so I stopped using them months ago. It wasn't until I read somewhere (although I can't remember where) that skipping on toner could be why your skin is so de-hydrated. So I thought I'd try adding it back in and it's made a huge difference to my skin. I won't ever skip out on toner again now!

5. Upgrade your moisturiser/add in a face oil. This is probably the one that has made the biggest difference to my skin apart from drinking more water. I added in a face oil and a thicker, nourishing moisturiser and my skin has loved it. The biggest change I made is to use my face oil not only at night but in the morning too and it's a revelation for me. I was always scared of using oil in the morning as it would make my face greasy but the Dr Organic Moroccan Argan Oil is more of a dry oil and it really helps my skin stay hydrated throughout the day, without being greasy.

These are a few things I've been doing for the last few months and that have really worked for me and my skin is really happy at the moment. Fingers crossed it stays that way. One good thing about the cold weather is that it's not long until Christmas now - yes I did just mention Christmas!

Kayleigh x

Labels: ,