How I Wash My Make Up Brushes

How I Wash My Make Up Brushes

I thought I'd talk about how I wash my make up brushes today. I'm absolutely crap at washing them and don't do it nearly as often as I should but when I do I make sure to give them a thorough clean.

I got this mitt off ebay about 2 years ago now and I think it was listed as an oven mitt actually. It was around £1.50 / £2 which is such a bargain. This is brilliant for cleaning your brushes as the raised arrows get right into the brush. I also love the fact that it has bigger arrows and smaller arrows, so it's great for cleaning big and small brushes. There's 2 brush cleaners that I use: Tesco Baby Shampoo and Dr Bronner's Liquid Soap in Rose. I much prefer the Dr Bronner's Liquid Soap in Rose as I find it leaves my brushes much softer and it also cleans them much quicker. If I don't have any however I'll use Tesco Baby Shampoo. This does the job well enough and my brushes are always clean in the end, but it takes much more scrubbing and when you have 15 + brushes to do and 2 sponges it can take quite a while!


All I do to clean them is squirt a generous amount of liquid on to the 'oven' mitt, wet the brush head underneath the tap with warm water and then scrub the brush in circles on the mitt. I make sure to scrub quite vigorously but at the same time not too hard because I don't want to loosen the bristles, but I make sure that the soap gets right into the brush head so it's squeaky clean. I also try not to get any water in the head of the brush as it can break down the glue and cause the bristles to fall out. I then rinse off the soap and repeat the process until the soap and water run clear.

For my make up sponges I tend to run a sink full of warm water and soak the sponge, then squeeze the soap directly on to the sponge and really massage it in. I do this until all the soap is in the sponge and then rinse it off in the warm water. I then run a fresh sink full of water and do the exact same again until it's clean.

That's it for how I clean my brushes and sponges. A simple routine, but effective none the less. Have you got any tips for cleaning your brushes and sponges?

Labels: